Two students were hospitalized and 100 others evacuated after a fire broke out in a UC Berkeley dorm Saturday morning.
Firefighters rushed to Ehrman Hall at 2650 Haste Street around 4:55 am after reports of smoke in the building, according to news reports. They evacuated the building and later discovered that debris at the bottom of the trash chute had caught on fire, sending smoke up to the fourth through eighth floors.
The fire was probably started by someone discarding something down the chute.
The blaze was extinguished by 5:30 am.
The two students hospitalized for smoke inhalation were not seriously injured.UC Berkeley