As rumors swirl that the military has seized power in Egypt and that President Hosni Mubarak (left) might step down, UC Berkeley’s Center for Middle Eastern Studies will host a panel discussion this evening on the pro-democracy protests. Titled “Egypt: Reflections on the Uprising,” the panel will feature professors from Cal and other institutions. It will take place from 6:45-8:30 p.m. in room 112 of Wurster Hall.
The panelists will include:
- Nezar AlSayyad, chair of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies
- Charles Hirschkind, associate professor of anthropology
- Saba Mahmood, associate professor of anthropology
- Moustafa Bayoumi, associate professor of English, City College, NY
- Yasmeen Daifallah, graduate student in political science
- As’ad AbuKhalil, professor of politics, at CSU Stanislaus