Thursday May 8 is Bike to Work and Bike to School Day and local bike groups and schools are geared up to encourage as many people as possible to participate.
Bike East Bay is hosting hundreds of Energizer Stations throughout the area, distributing goodie bags and “celebrating the joy of biking.” Last year over 15,000 cyclists participated throughout Bike to Work Day.
“We had a record number of children bike to school and mayors leading by example and biking to City Hall,” the nonprofit said on its website.
Many local schools are participating this year, including Berkeley High.
Get Ready for Bike to Work/School Day
- Find an energizer station near you on May 8 and pick up your Bike to Work Day bag filled with great swag and giveaways. Check out Bike East Bay’s interactive online map.
- Watch Telegraph Ave Protected Bikeway Demo on the morning of Bike to Work Day, 7am-1pm at Telegraph and 27th Street.
- RSVP on Facebook for Bike East Bay’s Bike Happy Hour Party.
- Pledge to ride your bike at least once during the Month of May on the YouCanBikeThere website, and get entered to win a Public Bike.
- Join the Team Bike Challenge. Track your miles throughout the year. Miles tracked in May are eligible for prizes.
- Ride with your rep: a number of elected officials are participating in Bike to Work Day. Find yours here.
- Find a bike buddy to help you ride (or become a mentor), attend a bike education class, dust off your bike, and ride! Visit Bike East Bay for the information you need for a safe and fun start.
If you still need further encouragement, watch the video below taken at the Berkeley Bike Festival at Berkeley Arts Magnet Elementary School on Sunday May 4. It shows Rosa Parks fourth graders Felix and Sophie Sparling singing “Peddle Your Blues Away,” and might just be what you need to get your bike out and start peddling.
The first-ever National Bike to School Day took place on May 9, 2012, in coordination with the League of American Bicyclists’ National Bike Month. The event built on the popularity of Walk to School Day, which is celebrated across the country – and the world – each October.
Can Berkeley be the most bike-friendly city in the country? (05.09.13)
Berkeley approves number of bike friendly initiatives (06.29.12)
A record number of cyclists ride on Bike to Work day (05.10.12)
Op/Ed: Safe cycling in wake of hit and run collision (04.30.12)
Video: Two cyclists struck by hit and run driver on Tunnel Road (04.27.12)
What exactly are Berkeley’s rules of the road for cyclists? (11.29.11)
Berkeleyside publishes many articles every day. To see all our stories in chronological order, and read ones you may have missed, check out our All the News grid.