Berkeleyside team members, along with some special guests, will be behind the cash bar serving drinks. All tips from the evening — as well as proceeds from a raffle with enticing prizes — will go to the Food Bank.
Last year, we raised nearly $3,000 for the Food Bank — and we hope we can do as well, or better, this year.
The Alameda County Community Food Bank distributes more than 3 million pounds of food a month — an astonishing number. This year it’s trying something new. Typically, in the coming months, its warehouse distribution centers will fill up with foods typically associated with food drives: canned goods.
This year, however, ACCFB is dreaming of something better: shelves stocked with quinoa, lentils, rolled oats, canned salmon, and peanut butter with the oil separated. ACCFB, already known nationwide as having one of the most progressive nutrition policies, is enhancing its efforts this holiday season by partnering with SuperFood Drive, a nonprofit committed to improving the health of the hungry. This partnership is helping ACCFB get more of the food items it needs most, but doesn’t receive enough of.
Berkeleyside will also be collecting new socks for Building Opportunities for Self-Sufficiently (BOSS) at Spats this year. BOSS provides shelter and services for over 2,000 homeless families each year. Support BOSS by bringing new socks on Dec. 15. There will be a collection box at the event.
Here are the fabulous raffle prizes:
- 2 tickets UC Theatre
- 2 tickets to California Revels performance
- Hair product & services from Keter Salon
- Wine and wine tasting from Urbano Cellars
- $250 certificate from The Crucible toward class enrollment
- 2 Aurora Theatre tickets for a play during 2016/17 season
- $25 certificate from Phil’s Sliders
- $25 certificate from Caviar for food delivery
- $50 from Amoeba Music
- $125 certificate toward exercise classes at BodyRok
- $50 from Sukho Thai Restaurant
- Case of Tres Agaves tequila along with tumblers and lime squeezer
What: Berkeleyside Holiday Drinks
When: Thursday Dec. 15, 6-9 p.m.
Where: Spats, 1974 Shattuck Ave., downtown Berkeley
To find out what is going on in Berkeley and nearby, be sure to check out Berkeleyside’s Events Calendar. And submit your own events for free.