The goal of defensible space is to protect your home and yard from catching fire from a flying ember, or from surging flames. Credit: Clara Mokri


How do I protect my property against wildfire?

Defensible space” is a term that’s become commonplace with the increased risk of wildfires. It refers to a buffer zone of landscaping around a structure to give it the best shot at not catching fire.

The recommendations regarding defensible space are based on data showing they can or might help. They also might not. All fires are different. 

But most emergency planners feel strongly that you should do all you can to make your property more defensible, even with the unknown.

To help visualize defensible space, imagine embers carried through the air by the heat of fire and winds. The goal is to protect your home and yard from catching fire from a flying ember, or from surging flames. 

This means removing or limiting as much flammable or combustible vegetation and other materials from around your house as possible. Trimming back plants and trees, mowing grasses and weeds, keeping combustibles off of and away from your house and creating space around plants, trees and backyard equipment like grills. 

CalFire sets the gold standard of defensible space. Local jurisdictions — including Berkeley — base their own regulations on the CalFire model.  

The CalFire model uses zones around a house: an “ember-resistant” zone extending five feet from the structure, called Zone 0; a wider inner zone extending 30 feet out, Zone 1; and an outer zone, extending from 30 feet to 100 feet, Zone 2. 

The CalFire model of defensible space uses three zones, called 0, 1 and 2. Credit: Liz Bradford 

Zone 0 isn’t yet required by law, but CalFire stresses its importance, and legal regulations are in the works. This is the area closest to any structure and should be “hardscaped” with gravel, rocks, concrete or any material that can’t ignite. No mulch and limited plants. CalFire Zone includes decks and roofs in Zone 0, calling for removing vegetative debris such as leaves and needles, limiting combustible patio furniture or planters, replacing combustible fencing, gates or arbors with noncombustible alternatives and not storing garbage and recycling bins or RVs or trailers in this area. 

Zone 1 standards call for smaller, thinner and lower vegetation to prevent sparks from flying to your house. 

Zone 2 allows for some taller trees and bushes, trimmed to minimize risks from flames and flying embers. The closer to the house, the more space between bushes and trees. Look for horizontal as well as vertical spacing, so upper branches are spaced apart. 

The basics of defensible space in Berkeley. Credit: Berkeley Fire

Fire resistant landscaping is strongly encouraged.

Basics include:

  • Clearing dead plant materials and dry vegetation.
  • Removing combustibles such as dry leaves and pine needles from the roof.
  • Removing ladder fuels that let fire climb from the ground to trees.
    • Removing lower tree branches at least 10 feet from the ground.
    • Removing shrubs or brush from under trees.
    • Cutting grass and weeds to a maximum of 4 inches tall.
  • Trimming vegetation near utility lines.
  • Clearing brush and trees 10 feet back from roadways and ensuring fire access roads are not obstructed.
  • Trimming trees for 10 feet of clearance from other trees and from your chimney.
  • Removing dead branches that hang over your house.
  • Keeping wood, brooms, propane BBQs, garbage cans and flammable patio furniture at least 10 feet from the house. Firewood should be at least 30 feet from your house.
  • Making sure your address sign is visible from the street day and night, in a contrasting color to your home.
  • Removing flammable plants and shrubs from windows, and from under or near decks.
  • Installing heavy wire mesh spark arrestors on chimney openings. 
  • Also checking that you have spark arrestors on your weed wacker, lawn mower, propane BBQ and all other appliances using solid or liquid fuel.

Maintaining your yard is not just about saving your home. It’s also about saving neighborhoods. Every burning building is fuel for a fire, making it hotter and stronger. Making property more fire-resistant can minimize this effect. The more you clear space in high-risk fire zones, the better your chances of slowing a fire.

Do defensible space regulations apply to my property?

Defensible space is required by state law in high-risk fire zones and is enforced by local fire agencies, such as the Berkeley Fire Department. Property owners can face fines and a misdemeanor conviction if they fail to comply after repeated notifications. Local agencies can also create stricter regulations than state authorities. 

Under local enforcement, yards are usually inspected in the spring, at the start of fire season, with compliance required by early summer.

First, learn your property’s wildland fire risk. 

Berkeley’s vegetation management program applies to the city’s hillside fire zones, which are made up of two zones, called 2 and 3. The city’s map shows each address’ fire risk zone. Credit: City of Berkeley

This year, the Berkeley Fire Department is “dramatically expanding” its formal inspection program. 

For more details on Berkeley’s wildland-urban interface property inspections, read a mailer from Fire Chief Abe Roman, check Berkeley Fire’s wildland fire information page, call the department at 510-981-3473, or email

What does it mean to harden my home against fire?

Along with “defensible space,” “home hardening,” once a rare term, is now finding its way to the common lingo of wildfire prevention. 

Home hardening is the act of preparing your house against fire by choices in materials, construction and design. This includes replacing flammable materials with fire-retardant or noncombustible options, protecting against embers and removing fire hazards.

The concepts of home hardening and defensible space overlap to cover practices that can reduce wildfire damage to your entire property, the structures and the land.  

Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to stopping fire, but research shows that home hardening steps can make a difference.

Flying embers and intense radiant heat pose the greatest dangers to buildings during wildfires. Wood — such as siding, shingles, roofs or decks — are kindling to embers and fuel for flames. The same goes for flammable vegetation. Intense radiant heat can cause combustible materials to burst into flames.

The three causes of building loss during wildfires. Credit: University of California Cooperative Extension

The science of home hardening, the development of new materials and techniques to resist fire, is a fast-moving field. California’s recent large-scale fires are serving to some extent as laboratories for what works best.

As of now in the East Bay, most home hardening is optional, not required. Though in high wildland fire risk zones, creating defensible space is the law. However, the California Fire Marshall sets codes for home hardening materials and practices. Using these methods must meet codes. 

Two California entities have published guides to home hardening:

Home hardening basics include:

  • Replacing all wood materials — such as roofs, siding and decks, fences, and gates — with fire-retardant or noncombustible options: composite, cement, metal, clay, tile, fire-treated wood. 
    • Do this for fences, gates and arbors especially where they are closest to your or a neighbor’s house. Consider first responder access when building or designing fencing of any material.
  • Covering all chimneys and vents leading into the home with wire mesh to catch embers. If you fail to install these so-called spark arrestors, it is a fire code violation in Berkeley. Embers entering a house through vents into attics, basements, crawl spaces or walls are a major cause of wildfire spread to structures. Look for gaps in eaves, and plug them with wire mesh or noncombustible caulking.  
  • Clearing under and around your decks to create an ember-resistant area of dirt, stones, slate, pebbles or cement.
  • Sealing openings in your garage with weather stripping or wire mesh to prevent embers from entering.
  • Inspecting/cleaning your chimney yearly.
  • Installing dual-paned glass windows with one pane of tempered glass to help lower radiant heat and prevent explosions, and using metal window screens instead of plastic or other flammable/meltable material.
  • Having several garden hoses in place that are long enough to reach all areas of your yard, to help with spot fires or embers on the ground. (Do not leave your water running if you evacuate. Save the water for the firefighters.)
  • Keeping a small supply of tools handy to help put out small fires, including a fire extinguisher, shovel and rake.

Other things to consider are replacing wooden furniture with fire-resistant materials. Wooden furniture, BBQ grills, propane tanks and garbage and recycling bins should not be stored near your home’s exterior.

What help is available if I can’t afford the high costs of fire prevention?

For property owners, fire prevention can be expensive. Even if you mow, weed and trim bushes on your own, most people need to hire out for heavy work, such as removing or trimming trees.

Some of the work is required, while some is strongly recommended.

Berkeley’s vegetation management requirements include creating 30 feet of defensible space around your home and things like covering house vents with wire mesh to prevent embers from entering your home.

Other improvements, like using fire resistant materials for your roof and siding, can add up to thousands of dollars. And some of the work needs to be done or maintained every year. This is easier for some people to manage financially than others. 

Unfortunately, there isn’t a lot of assistance available.  

Berkeley has a free chipper program to grind tree limbs and brush in high fire risk zones and haul away chippings. For details:

The Diablo Firesafe Council, a nonprofit serving Alameda and Contra Costa counties, offers matching grants of up to $5,000 for vegetation clearance in residential areas of the East Bay hills and in high-risk fire zones. Applications are reviewed on a quarterly basis with the next deadline being Aug. 13. Cheryl Miller, the council’s executive coordinator, says they currently have a wait list for projects and they hope to hear soon if they get additional funding for the next few years. More details are available on the council’s website or by calling 510-282-1265.

PG&E has also produced a seven-part video series called “7 Saturdays” with tips about how homeowners can protect their properties against wildfires.  

Several Berkeley hotels have offered discounts on Red Flag days, targeting people relocating from high risk fire zones.

I rent. What should I know about wildfire safety?

For renters, most of the same advice on wildfire preparation applies to you, such as preparing a go bag, signing up for emergency alerts, and having an evacuation plan. You should know if you live in Berkeley’s hillside fire zones and you should know your Zonehaven evacuation zone number

The responsibility of renters generally stops with the physical property, the house or building and the yard. Your landlord or the property owner is responsible for making sure the building meets building codes, including fire codes and for defensible space requirements related to yard maintenance. 

State and local laws require rental properties to have smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors, fire extinguishers and openable window bars. Larger buildings may require sprinkler systems and alarm systems. 

If you rent in a hillside fire zone, have conversations with your landlord now about preparedness including:

  • Concerns over yard conditions or vegetation. Ask if wildfire prevention requirements are being met.
  • Seek reassurance and/or proof that fire codes are met, including the availability of fire extinguishers and smoke detectors, and that all window bars can be opened in an emergency.  
  • In larger apartment buildings, fire inspections are conducted routinely and results must be posted on a public interior wall. This can include surprise inspections.

If you feel your landlord isn’t meeting fire safety regulations or isn’t sharing information with you, contact your fire or emergency services department.

The Berkeley Rent Stabilization Board is an important resource for tenants and landlords. It can provide detailed information on fire code requirements for everything from a rental house to a multi-unit apartment complex. 

Disaster advice for renters 

The horrific wildfires of Northern California brought attention to how renters can be impacted, including losing all their belongings in a blaze and then experiencing homelessness. Many were left with nothing but bank accounts, if they had them, and reliance on family and friends.

Unlike property owners, rebuilding or dealing with homeowner’s insurance wasn’t relevant. 

One good to come of this tragedy was disaster advice just for renters. Some of these efforts are still active today, and excellent resources for tenants. Including: 

Should I use sprinklers or hose down my yard or deck during a fire? (No!)

Don’t even think about it. Credit: Shutterstock

On hot days, many people living in high-risk areas of the East Bay hills like to water their yards often to keep their plants and grounds moist and damp, as a deterrent to flying embers or flames. Some also regularly hose down their wood decks and fences. 

But does this even help and, more importantly, is this water use OK during a drought? 

No to both, says Pam Temmermand, a fire prevention specialist at CalFire. Temmermand offered this drought advice to those living in hillside fire zones.

  • As a rule, landscape with drought-tolerant, fire-resistant plants. Don’t plant water hogs. And remember to remove all dead and dying vegetation.
  • Don’t hose down decks or — anything. During any major fire, and especially during a drought, water is precious. “Please save the water for firefighters. Wetting down decks, siding, roofs, etc. only wastes water,” Temmermand said.
  • Hosing a yard or anything else won’t help. “Wetting down decks, siding, roofs, etc. only wastes water,” Temmermand said. “It is not an effective way to prevent ignition. The hot dry winds associated with advancing wildfires result in rapid evaporation long before flames and embers reach a home.”
  • In a drought, sprinkler systems for fire prevention aren’t a good idea. “Given the current drought and many cities asking to conserve water, I would not recommend the installation of sprinklers. Once again, the recommendation is creating or maintaining a defensible space. Please save the water for our firefighters,” Temmermand said.
  • Maintaining defensible space around all structures is CalFire’s best advice for helping protect a home from wildfire.

I have fire insurance — for now. What do I need to know? 

For many property owners in high-risk fire areas, homeowner’s insurance is becoming a nightmare. Rates are increasing, and policies are being canceled or not renewed, all linked to the risks of destructive wildfire.

Having adequate coverage in an area with high wildfire risk is vital. Thousands of homes were destroyed in recent California fires, with many people discovering they didn’t have enough coverage.

The cost of insurance – if you can get it – is challenging or prohibitive for some family budgets. The headache of finding adequate coverage is hard on most people affected.

Can anything help?

If you’re a homeowner in the hills, here’s what you should do now:

  • Check what your homeowner’s insurance covers and make sure it’s enough to help you rebuild if needed, taking into account updated square footage, improvements and current building costs (from a contractor). Your insurance broker should be able to help with this.
  • Aim for replacement coverage, versus cash value, which won’t pay you the actual costs of rebuilding and replacing, just depreciated value. 
  • Update your inventory of belongings and valuables, taking photos and videos inside your home.
  • To save money, get a higher deductible, not less coverage.
  • Make sure all of your valuables are covered for replacement, such as antiques and artwork.
  • Never let your coverage lapse because it opens a window when many companies cancel or refuse to renew.
  • Consider including “living expense coverage” to cover the time it takes for rebuilding.
  • If you’re a renter, get renter’s insurance with fire coverage.

My fire insurance was canceled. What should I do?

Insurance companies have to give you a 75 day-notice of cancellation under state law. It might take this long to get a new policy, so try not to procrastinate.

Ask your former broker for suggestions, including whether additional wildfire prevention work might help keep your coverage. Talk to neighbors in the same fire risk zone.

There are a couple of online services that might help.

If your insurance company didn’t give you a 75-day notice before cancellation, or if you don’t understand why you were dropped, contact the California Department of Insurance at 800-927-HELP.

Failsafe fire insurance

California law guarantees that basic home fire insurance is available to any homeowner who can’t get conventional coverage under the California Fair Plan.

But it isn’t free or low-cost. The plan is essentially a pool of high-risk private insurers available to homeowners as a last resort. It is considered a temporary safety net until regular coverage is attained.

Here are a few more helpful resources:

The Berkeley Wildfire Guide is a collaboration between Berkeleyside and The Oaklandside. The guide — first published on July 29, 2021, and last updated on June 7, 2022 — was written by Kate Darby Rauch and Brian Krans, edited by Zac Farber and Jacob Simas, designed by Doug Ng and illustrated by T.L. Simons. You can read a version of the guide tailored for Oakland residents on The Oaklandside.

Information overload can be an issue as you plan for emergencies. That’s why we’ve compared information and vetted sources for you, with the aim of providing only credible and recent information from trusted sources. 

Sources used in compiling this guide: CalFire, Berkeley Fire Department, Oakland Fire Department, FEMA, Alameda County Fire Department, U.S. Forest Service, National Interagency Fire Center, National Wildfire Coordinating Group, U.S. Department of Agriculture, National Weather Service, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Centers for Disease Control, Pacific Gas & Electric, East Bay Municipal Utility District, East Bay Regional Park District, California Fire Safe Council, Governor’s Office of Emergency Services, Community Emergency Alert Teams, State Council on Developmental Disabilities, University of California Cooperative Extension, Oakland Animal Services, Berkeley Disaster Preparedness Neighborhood Network, Hills Emergency Forum, Alameda County Office of Emergency Services, Oakland Firesafe Council, Diablo Firesafe Council, FIRESafe Marin, Public Health Institute, California Air Resources Board, Bay Area Air Quality Management District, American Red Cross, Kaiser Permanente, Mask Oakland, Zonehaven, ALERTWildfire, City of Mill Valley, City of Ross.

The image illustrating defensible space in the property section of this guide is adapted from the Wildfire Home Retrofit Guide (publication #SP-20-11) with permission from University of Nevada, Reno Extension and the Living With Fire Program.