Mentoring Academy’s students are very successful: in their academics, social growth, psychological health and commitment to their own development including college admissions, national testing, happiness, and essential life skills. The major reasons are:
- Very small classes, 2 to 5 students, with lots of individual 1:1 time.
- Focus on developing important relationships with mentors, peers and family.
- School work is not just completed, but skills are mastered so the student is ready for what is next. No falling through the cracks.
- Experienced, caring, mentors gauge needed support and guide mastery of strong academics, identify stumbling blocks, help students create solutions.
- The result pf the trusting, knowledgeable, relationships is that students seek help without fear of being judged or belittled.
- Expectations are high, but support makes attaining the goals doable. School should not be painful. The relationships, coupled with individualized learning can make it joyful.
- School work is done at school so mentors do the teaching and the family has a life at home.
- All-school International study and travel (Cuba, Poland, Guatemala, Italy, Costa Rica)
- Classes, activities, retreats, individual time, daily events support each student’s ability to interact and obtain help as needed. Graduates go to college faculty office hours because they are comfortable with adults and professors.
- Staff is experienced with diverse students including those who:
- are willing to seriously engage,
- become anxious,
- are driven to be perfect or quit,
- just love learning,
- have social challenges,
- think they are not good enough,
- already have strong academic skills and want to employ them,
- are attached to electronics,
- have difficulty completing assignments.
- Students make mistakes, run into difficulties, act poorly. Staff assist each one to learn to do better rather than punish.
- Students experience the joy of their growth and power by really learning important skills, sharing, thinking and succeeding.
- Complete, extensive College Admissions Support Program is included in curriculum.
- Accredited, with a 10 year history of supporting students as they change their lives.
- Rolling admissions.
We have room for a few others to join us for the 2022—23 journey.
5951 College Avenue
Oakland, CA 94618
Admissions contact: John Muster
Grades: 9 – 12